Following on from WiP #11, where I received some interesting feedback from a fellow student, I have decided to experiment further with conveying to the viewer something of the chaos behind the order of my composites.
I have decided to make this post partly for fun during lockdown following on from an informative study hangout about Keeping up Momentum (04/04/2020). I have also made it to inform the viewer something of the chaos behind the order in my composites of Deptford.
I have produced a tight series of diptychs for my fourth Assignment for Body of Work. I feel the images work best as standalone diptych. The series of diptychs make a cohesive whole with two clear themes present. The first theme is change in Deptford and touches upon the regeneration going on there. As I’ve discovered, this change is symptomatic of change in many other places in London and wider elsewhere and so speaks for change in a larger scheme of things. The second theme is deconstructing the decisive moment through the use of composites within the diptychs. I experimented with this theme during Assignment 3 and have developed it since to fill out the body of work. Therefore my practice leading up to Assignment 4 has been a continuation of where I was going since Assignment 3 with a clear strategy now employed.
Ironically, as I walked away from another composite shooting session, I was inwardly quite disappointed with how it had gone. I had waited patiently for about an hour once I had set the tripod up correctly (which had taken another quarter of an hour), for people to pass the scene but only two had crossed by the time I was waiting. I feel there are two lessons I have learnt from a practical perspective about the session going forwards which turned out to be quite positive in the end.
I feel Assignment 3 and the work leading up to it has been a useful process. By introducing a Work in Progress tab on my blog, I was able to incrementally update my ideas for the experimentation with people in the scene. This not only gave the viewers of the blog a better notion of how the project was developing but also myself.
I do feel I improved upon Assignment 1 with my second assignment although perhaps it has taken a step sideways as well.
Nearly all the images I’ve produced for Assignment 1 have been what I would term ‘straight' photography. I feel that I found melding the theory and practice parts of my 2 modules (Contextual Studies and Body of Work respectively) difficult at first. Although I was producing images for my Body of Work they felt somewhat … Continue reading Reflection on the Images for Assignment 1 – Body of Work